Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Vegan diet at 10 days, improvements already

10 days ago the wife and I decided to become (nearly) vegans.  The first actual change appears to be her blood pressure.  Her numbers move around but have been most often in the high 130's over mid 90's.  After 5 days they fell and have remained almost constant at 120 over 84, excellent numbers.

I stated (nearly) vegan, we still eat a few ounces of fish twice a week, and she uses eggs in some baking, and I dribble milk in my coffee, but that's about it.  If we are invited over for a dinner we won't turn down a small serving of meat, and we will still serve meat for special occasions.  

The poor people of the world eat vegan because they have to, hundreds of millions in India and parts of Asia eat vegan due to social/religious beliefs.  Contrary to knee jerk reaction it is not a potential health risk, a vitamin B-12 supplement is the only possible additional requirement.  I think we are eating better than ever, the delicious dishes from India, Japan, Mexico, Lebanon, Israel and Italy without meats number in the hundreds and are fantastic in taste and appearance, I believe we have better tasting meals now than we ever had in the past.  In fact I am sure of it, walk into a good produce section and look at all the fruit and vegi's, we are eating all of it, everything, and lots of it, except parsnips and coconut.  Some of these are expensive, but without the meat, so far it seems our costs are the same.  And if the wife can go off some of her many meds eventually, the cost will be less with our high co-pays.

The main reason we did this was to see if we could head off her on and off trouble with ulcerated colitis and my growing awareness of my muscle tremors, the blood pressure change is the first visible result, and a wonderful surprise to my wife.  This is a great cult.  

3 comments:

  1. Darrel,
    Partner, I am proud of you. Alas, I will still consume meat - though not as much. Try shrimp fried rice. I steam my fish and brocolli and use jasmine rice (try that- you will love the fragrant taste). Monday night was soup, sandwich and a salad. Tuesday night was ravioli and a salad.
    A lot of BP is sodium - I use light salt. Also, temperment plays a role - don't get your ass agitated more than necessary. Blogging can be a release. And, fluids - keep hydrated.


    Sarge
    Freelance Gynocologist
    unlicensed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Darrell, I think you might just be onto something here.

    "delicious dishes from India, Japan, Mexico, Lebanon, Israel and Italy without meats number in the hundreds and are fantastic in taste and appearance, I believe we have better tasting meals now than we ever had in the past."

    People will go to great lengths to prepare delectable meat dishes, fancy spices, play with the cook time and temperature, basting, etc. But vegetables they only see two choices: raw or boiled. Ranch dressing or thousand island? Put on some butter or not. That's it. Boring!

    I'm starting to get a little creative myself; think I'll go recipe hunting later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about posting an occasional simple recipe or idea? I like hummus and tofu, but veggies are more stir fry or steam so I'm curious as to new ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.