Wednesday, September 28, 2011

junk science from the fringe

I just figured my savings in fuel on my Toyota Camry Hybrid compared to the standard Camry and the aprox. $1,000 higher price for hybrid technology.  I keep complete record of gas purchases and miles.  In the 56,680 miles driven I saved $2,307.90 in fuel keeping about $1300 in net savings to piss away on organic cilantro, and huckleberry preserves.
For the last few months I put off digging through 4 years of expenses and mileage info, I was pretty sure I was far from breaking even on the higher cost option, the wife speculated we would never break even.   Wow!  Of course the high fuel prices in late 08 and again over the last year made that pay off sooner.

(Based on our "actual" life time average of 37mpg while the 08 standard model claims a combined 25mpg.)

4 comments:

  1. What is gas at in Wichita? Eastside INDY is down to $3.04 - I got it at $3.18 yesterday here in the westside.


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, I don't know what it is, I have not looked for a few days, currently have 1/3 tank left and running at 38.1 mpg on this tank. I think I paid $3.28 on my last fill up. ............... OK, a web search says it ranges from 3.21 to 3.39 this morning. Todays newspaper story suggested it will go below 3.00 by end of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Zealand fuel price is $2.09 per liter. That's about $8.36 per gallon in New Zealand dollars or somewhere around $6.40 a gallon in US dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mister O, no wonder kiwi's are so good at saving energy. I see the US solar house competition held on the Mall in DC was won by a university from New Zealand. Excellent, and $6.40 would make you ride a bike to the market and walk to the pub.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.