Friday, February 10, 2012

"OK now I splain you"!

Shall Charter Ordinance 216 entitled: "A charter ordinance amending and repealing Section 1 of Charter Ordinance No. 213, of the city of Wichita, Kansas, which amended and repealed Seciton 1 of Charter Ordinance No. 183 of the city of Wichita which amended and repealed Section 1 of Charter Ordinance No. 174 of the city of Wichita, Kansas, pertaining to the application of revenues from the transient guest tax" take effect?
Yes
No

A few years ago I visited a factory in Italy to learn of their products.  The engineer, Tommasso, assigned to educate me spoke english like he was in a new sport, killing snakes and down hill racing combined.  He lunged and dashed through technical diatribes, down down faster and faster he raced cutting close to the flags by dropping words he didn't have time for, he was an economist of speech, a fast breather, he sprayed just a little, and, there was the accent.  But, if I ask a question, he paused long and seriously as he gathered up a wad of useful words to throw on me.  Each question was answered, beginning with, "OK now I splain you", and like that he was back at full speed, it was exhausting.

Today I need some one to "splain me".  Where is Tommasso when I need him?  Can you help?  Here is the ballot issue for an upcoming election, the language is above, and I don't know what it means.  It has to do with tax.  The local "job creators" are tearing themselves apart, it could come to a republican civil war.  Taxes are forbidden, yet a business (in this case a hotel) can go quietly to the city and state and ask for additional sales tax to be levied on all the business they do, the extra tax skimmed from their customers is given to the business as a loan, oh, it's given up front, here take 500k$ and over the next 15 years charge all your customers 1% more and we the state will pay off your loan with this.  "Splain me"?   Why should the city state be doing a banks job here?  Well, part of the GOP loves this, part hate it.  Wichita being a wholly owned subsidy of Koch Industries, Koch is spending big to support the side that is against it which causes my kneejerk to think maybe I should vote for it.   Now, look at that damn language at the top of the post.  Do I vote yes or no, and what does the yes or no mean.   Tommasso?

2 comments:

  1. Remember bac when there were literacy tests in Mississipi and black folks were handed newspapers written in Japanses?


    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.