Friday, February 17, 2012

Scrooge was a tree hug'n environmentalist.

Yesterday I stopped at Home Depot and bought a pack of 4 pig tail CF bulbs for about $6.80.  Instant on, warm white, 60 watt equals, the package has a price for electricity on it to estimate your savings, over $5 a year per bulb at 4 hours a day.  I really like them in the bathroom at night, it comes on low and over 15 seconds it goes full bright, good for the ole sleepy peepers.  I dropped off a dead one, they take them for recycle.

I have this business associate that thinks global warming is a joke, and he is a cheap cheap son of a bitch, will hardly tip at a restaurant.    He clips coupons, buys only on sale, collect frequent flyer miles off the credit card, and he is busy cutting his energy use like a tie-dyed tree hugger.  He told me his lighting is now 100% CF's, bought new insulated windows for the north side of his house, bought power strips for the TV and computer that shut off automatically when not in use,  bought weather strip/seals to put on the doors this weekend. Brags he is making money off his energy investments.  He plans to buy a hybrid car this summer.  The guy is green but only by his Scroogeness to save money, a friggin environmentalist he's not, he just wants to keep his money from the energy companies, and the planet benefits.

8 comments:

  1. Well I guess the end justifies the means...even in indirect ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jadedj, I am very happy that he is on board, using less energy through new technologies. He's doing the same thing I am, slowing the flow of money from our pockets to the coal, oil, and gas companies.

      Delete
  2. Oh I agree. I meant that first comment with a :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad has the thermostat in Evansville set ay 73 year round. Mom freezes and he sits there watching tv with a jacket on.
    Still their Vectern (old Southern Indiana Gas and Electric) bill runs over $200 a month. Okay, Mom and Dad's place is small - a big cottage. I have a large sized one bedroom - right now the heat is off since the sun coming through the windows warms the place. Once the sun goes down I set it at
    72 until I retire and it goes off.
    I normally awake about 0530 and turn on the heat full blast and kick in the oil filled radiator in the bathroom before hitting the sack for another nap. Summer is easy! I use a fan.
    Now, I just bought two new bulbs at Walmart - Crystal Clear 100. Brightness is 1535 lumens and yearly energy cost is $12.05. I learned long ago to divide the cost of everything by the price of a cold case of beer. I am okay...
    Darrel, I like seeing what I am sudsing...
    And, reading is nice too - especially when your ass has gone blind from constant masturbation!

    Remember, I did a remote tour in the Aleutians...


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarge, masturbation doesn't make you blind if you wear goggles.

      Delete
    2. 73 is freezing? Holy shit. I have mine set at 62 all winter. Must be a Wisconsin/Indiana thing?

      Delete
  4. NAC, 73 is pretty warm, we run ours up to 68 in the day and 60ish at night. I do notice the further you go north the cooler people keep the house and office. I think they tend to dress warmer and they get use to it, plus in harsher climates the cost runs up a lot for every degree you try to keep things. Also there is a chance the thermostat is not exact, it could be also a function/relationship to where the heat and cold sources are at, and humidity.

    Sarge, next time buy a 26 watt CF (100w equiv.), it will cost 3 dollars more up front and burn only 25% as much kw, so maybe it costs you $4 a year in electricity. They had one burning next to a standard bulb at HomeDepot, it's as bright, it'll make ya squint like Dorthy Hammel's skating over your bag.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.