Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wall-Mart PR stunt falls short of impressing me

Wally world has decided it's time to jump start the economy, their words.  In the next 10 years they will spend $50 billion buying American made products and hire 100,000 military vets during the next 5 years.  OK, I'm not a total dip-wad, this is good, I am glad they will do this.

But, this is also a sad PR stunt.  Consider they do 444 billion a year in business, and they plan to shop for 5 billion a year in the domestic market, wow so that's a little over 1% of sales.  And since they always expand and increase sales, in 10 years time it likely will be less than 1%.
As for the vets, that's good too, but, there is a stunt here as well.  Since Wally world is primarily a part time employer and offers little or no health care to it's employees, this will ensure the American tax payer continues to pay for vets health care while they (wally world) pay nothing (directly).  Keep those guys pointed back to the VA hospital, not a local doc through insurance. And since most of todays military is white (as opposed to the 50's to the 90's) this will trend to a minority replacement action.  Then there is the pay scale, not exactly what most vets aspired to risking their life for a 35 hour week at wages that guarantee the kids never get braces.

Again, I like both of these actions.  I just think the first one is so small it's a joke, glad they are doing it, but it's feeble.  Good news too for vet's but this is a trick to keep wally world from offering insurance.  (Well, maybe when Obamacare kicks in the insurance thing won't matter.  Or will it?  Have to think on that one)  One more pat on the head for Wally world, they are adding solar power to some of their stores and forcing some suppliers to hold packaging size and content to a minimum saving waste, cost, shelf and truck space and weight.  But still, I don't consider them a good corporate citizen.

4 comments:

  1. I don't understand this, Notacynic left a remark before Kukkuri did, I was it earlier, then I saw it was gone, I copied it though from my email notice of a comment. Very strange. Here it is below:

    How do they put it over at Squatlo's place? Oh yeah, Fuck Wal-Mart! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just called the VA to have a prescription filled - the MD has discontinued that medication.
      Did someone confer with me on that? No. So, I called my St Mary's MD and they called in a prescription to the pharmacy at the supermarket around the corner. I am dumping the VA entirely.
      I think the VA sucks - But, being military retired and having Tricare; I can have that opinion. Actually, the VA in INDY wasn't bad.
      And, since I am 20% disabled - it was free.
      And, a job is a job. Should vets get priority in hiring? I would hope that a veteran's service plays a role in hiring but should veteran be given a leg up in hiring over a more qualified applicant? I don't think so.


      Sarge

      Delete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.