Monday, March 4, 2013

Light bulb trials and tribulations.

Lights are changing fast.  I have the CF's in most of my lights in the house.   Love it.  They save me tons of money, and I hardly ever have to climb up to change one, they last for years.

When they came out a few years ago some of them hummed a little, and didn't come on for a fraction of a second which in todays world seems like a whole second.  Most were just a little more yellow than incandescent.  Today when you buy them look for "instant on", and I haven't found a hummer for ages.

Color though can be an issue.  Lowes and the big competitors have displays demonstrating color of the light, plus it's on the box.  For the most part, it won't matter to you, I like soft white which is close to the incandescent color.  Where it can drive you nuts is if you have a bathroom fixture with multiple bulbs, you'll need to get them all the same color or it looks like crap.  

I bought a LED spotlight for a ceiling "can" light to try out.  It's odd.  To me it doesn't give off as much light as the standard 65W, close but just a little less, but if you are where you can see the bulb, it's a bit  piercing.  It is not very pleasant to see the surface of this particular bulb I purchased.  This "can" is over the fireplace, tilts away from people in the room, so it works just fine, but I have "cans" in the kitchen and I think it might be like a pin in the eye there.   Well, the good news, the prices are falling fast, and the bulbs keep changing for the better, I'll try again in a year.  My brotherinlaw is an "energy use" engineer for a utility in Illinois, he changed all his bulbs with CF, said his electric bill went down 30%.

3 comments:

  1. You would shit if you seen what I have over the dining room - Its a wonder I don't look like bronze boy Boehner...


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ron, I know exactly what you bat eyed old men use, 100 watts, then between getting up early, in and out through the day and a few hours at the TV in the evening you average 5 or 6 hours a day, at Evansville rate of $0.10.81 KWh your spending $25 a year, and the bulb life is 1,200 hours, so a new bulb about every year. A CF or LED 100 watt equal (23 to 30 watt) would cost you about $7 a year and the bulb last 8,000+ hours, 7 or 8 years. In that time you will save at least $125, plus your not up on a chair 6 times risking a fucking hump buster. For a few dollars you can get an LED, for $50 Lowes has a Sylvania LED, even with the LED by the time it burns out you saved $75, actually more than that, a 100 watt tungsten burner adds several dollars to your air conditioning bill, air conditioning is more expensive than heating.
      Remember Sgt. David Swaim would say when people came in hungover? Why you so squinty eyed? So bleedy eyed?

      Delete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.