Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I'm giving you $130.00, buy some organic food with it.

If you don't remember anything else about The Yellow Fringe, remember I told you how to make  $130.00 with no investment or risk.

If you drive to work 5 days a week, or errands, your going to save at a minimum 0.1 US gallon of fuel each day even if you suck at most the suggestions below, that's $130 a year, and I could make you lots more, up to 30% if you get serious.  In Europe the car companies, yes even Ford, gives driving classes to improve your fuel savings.
Pay attention, take notes, it's your money:

  1. Air up your damn tires, and tune up your car.  (the car company suggests a pressure for comfort, on the tire is the suggested safe maximum, I use something between those)
  2. Look down the road and think, if the light turned red or traffic is backing up, coast to it, you also  save brake wear.
  3. Fast starts in traffic, lane hopping, saves you 2.5 minutes in 20 min of city driving, and costs 35% more fuel.
  4. Loose weight, clear the trunk, don't pick up fat hitchhikers, mpg goes down 2% per 100 lbs.
  5. If traffic and distance are equal, take the smoothest surface road.
  6. Cruise control saves fuel on flat land, on large hills it wastes fuel.
  7. In good weather and if the car is in good condition, turn off engine on long stops.
  8. If you need new tires and will keep the car for their life, pay the few dollars more for "low rolling resistant" tires, they pay for themselves.
  9. Going out on errands, plan your route to have more right turns than left, lowers idle time.
  10. At the big box store park out near the entrance, you need the 2 minute walk, and you won't have to back out to depart.

My hybrid Camry is rated at 34 mpg city and 36 hiway, I usually get 38 mpg for the whole tank, a few tanks were at 41.  Even if you have a hybrid you have to drive smart to keep your money.  A penny saved is a penny earned.  B. Franklin

5 comments:

  1. " A penny saved is a penny earned." - B. Franklin

    "A penny saved is penny worth less after the U.S. government devalues our currency." - Mr. Whit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whit,
    Don't devalue the $130 I told you about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to take my $130 and buy silver bullion...which doesn't devalue, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HDNelson,
    I was thinking of your blog on foods as I read your comment, and I was stumped at first on the silver bullion, I was thinking like chicken broth I know silver bullion not so much until the ole brain started working. Whewee, I'm heading back to the coffee pot for another refill. Still, I'm thinking you would use your extra money on some organic fennel and bake it with a chicken, Oh, I had that in Italy, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting post! who doesn't need to save a buck or two!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.