Friday, June 3, 2011

think global, chug local

I am sure that Coors, Bud, Pabst, Michelob have not made one dollar off me over the last two decades, I never, never, fucking never drink corporate cat piss.  Damn Budweiser in the southwest states is owned by Cindy McCain, the wife of the moron who can't remember how many houses he has, the dipwad that saddled us with the snowbilly.

Since 1980 US beer drinkers began exploring the imagination and rich flavors lacking in the politically connected corporate made swill.  This search for the craftsman over the factory product has spawned 1759 local, mostly small, brew makers.  Where ever I go I ask, got anything local, almost always it's very good.  This trend put jobs in local sometimes out of the way places and small towns, and reducing transport pollution.   Higher price? Yea, just a little, but what do you care, 10 to 40 cents per bottle at the candy store, 50 cents maybe more at a bar.  If money is an issue maybe you should all the more consider buying from a local employer instead of aiding a far off entity exporting money from the community.  Drink the best, and one and done should be your goal.

14 comments:

  1. Fringe:

    We have quite a number of local brewers, and I must confess that their brew is better. Perhaps you get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leinekugel the pride of Chippawa Falls, the legend of the north woods. I love those little vessels of comfort. Not exactly a local for me in Kansas, but I spring for a six pack every couple of months as I do for the New Belgium brews off the front range north of Denver, NB has an organic that is pretty nice at the same price as the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whit,
    Same thing I found, same conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fringe,
    Just curious. Have you ever tried brewing your own? I used to sample local favorites because like you I had a hard time distinguishing one brand of corporate piss from another. But I gave up beer for the most part about the time brew your own kits were gaining popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mister O;
    Never tried making home brew, I don't think I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a big beer drinker but do enjoy the taste of Hennepin or Ommegang from Cooperstown Ommegang Brewery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, the local stuff is usually better. The biggest benefit is that when you try new stuff, sometimes you find some really terrific beer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. never have liked American beer - but I loved German beer (the home of local breweries I suspect).

    locked in the states I drink either Corona or tap beer at local pubs, no bud, coors or the rest.

    good article

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ice, Fringe, etal:

    First Corona is purified burro piss. The Mexican bandit next door who poisons me with his fiery food drinks the swill.

    Microbreweries are big in Indiana - I know a place that has a lager - not bad.

    But, my beer is Miller Lite.

    Burp..


    Oh, don't neglect your local wineries....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherry,
    If I ever see any Cooperstown I will buy it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skinny;
    I would add to your "biggest benefit" list, your helping small businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ice:
    Most German beers are good, I certainly agree with that, though there is a group of pils that are so bitter/tart I just can't do it. Kirner Pils is really tough, and Bitburger Pils is also difficult for me. Both very popular in the far west, west and a bit north of Frankfurt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous Sarge;
    I hope you will discover and buy some brew made by a local or small brewer, support the small businessman and vote with your dollars. The factory beer maker has a politically connected conglomerate behind them, they don't need us, they need the GOP.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.