Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dead zone, from the Gulf all the way to our back door.

The dead zone they call it, an area along the mouth of the Mississippi in the Gulf, hundreds of square miles of open sea and coastal waters, where chemicals are so heavy as to kill almost all fish, shrimp, shell fish.  Farm and yard fertilizers and pesticides kill directly as well as through starving the water of oxygen.  The only thing that normally lives through this, and often flourishes into a chocking mat, is algae, it thrives to the excess that helps kill other fauna in the water.

Today I noticed under the bridge over a man-made lake connecting to a near by creek in my neighborhood, the water chocking in algae, turtles and fish dead in the water.  These dead zone extend for thousands of twisting miles of water ways from the Gulf, to Kansas, and for sure all the way to the Canada border.  This water is not poisoned by farm run off, this is right off the yards surrounding me, me, I went organic on my yard this year.   We need to rethink our lifestyle, we are killing the fish that can feed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.