Tuesday, January 31, 2012

former pets eat up Florida swamps

In areas where Pythons are numerous, in 12 years the impact on native wildlife is 99% drop in raccoons, 98% opossums, 87% bobcats, large drop (no figures available) in rabbit and fox, birds of all kinds.

Pythons (there are two or three species of them down there) turned loose in Florida are estimated in the tens of thousands now.   A few fall prey to gators, but many gator babies fall prey to the snake.  A few days ago it was made illegal to import or sell them.  The damn things eat a lot, but, can live for months without eating at all.  A number of efforts and neighborhood watch type programs are in place now to speed the killing of these pests, but I don't give it much hope, rarely have we been able to undo the damage of invasive critters.
I just hope none of you buy exotic pets.  The parrot hunters are stripping the forests of birds, many die in transit, up here what good are they really, snakes and lizards and exotic plants likewise.

1 comment:

  1. Darrel,
    Have you watched that thing on animal planet where these guys (I don't think they are Florida Fish and Game) go out and capture these huge friggin snakes in the Everglades. They put the fuckin things in a bag and take them someplace. No, you put a round through the damned thing's head and toss it in a dumpster.
    Just like that rattler I popped with a .22 in Midwest City. I was standing on my balony and
    seen some kids around a rattlesnake that was striking at them. I got my single shot frog gun, dropped a round in the bad boy and shot the friggin thing in the head. A MWC cop was driving by and heard the shot - You know the drill - drop the rifle, move away from the weapon - then, why are you firing a gun in the city limits? Well, I pointed to the rattler and the kids - "You would prefer one of these children gets bit"? He went away and I tossed the thing in the dumpster.
    My point being - the Burmese python in the "glades" has no real predator save the gator. Man needs to be the predatator. I say a bounty on the fuckers - doubled for a female.


    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.