Monday, January 30, 2012

Obama's vocabulary is to simple now, before it was to academic.

I listened to Obama's state of the union address, I didn't think he talked like he was talking to kids, or Kentucky drop-outs.  In the past I didn't think he talked like a college professor either.  But there are some who took offense before at his university negroness, and I suspect they are behind taking offense again.
An article in the paper today said his vocabulary choices for this speech was at an 8th grade level, and it informed me I should be very insulted.
Lighten up people.  I have read the vocabulary of Time magazine is written at an 8th grade level as well, and I suspect it's not living off Obama voters for it's survival.   My rabid overthetop reichwinger dentist has Time in his waiting room, he seems OK with that level of vocabulary, I look at it, find some of the articles informative, I'm OK with it.  I work with people that have terrible language skills, and people who have high degrees and are powerful wordsmiths, I don't take offense with either group, I don't feel either speak up or down to me when they work to explain something to me.  It takes a skill to be able to explain complex issues in a way I (or others) can grasp it and use it. I don't see the insult, sorry if I am not outraged.  So what is it with this hunt for the Goldilocks vocabulary, not to hot, not to cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.