Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hey Sarge


Sarge over at OneAngryZebra ask me a few days back to let him see what sculptures I am working on.  Right now there are 5 in various stages.  Here will be a robust stylized bull in Tennessee marble,  about  15" long.  It's overall shape is set, I have'nt settled on the size/shape of the horns so I left lots of marble up there for that.  You see I marked up the next cuts already.  The other is a football tackle in limestone, it's big, around 3 feet long.  I don't work on the football piece very often, the bull more often but it's slow work, this piece of marble has been out of the earth a few years, it's pretty damn hard now.  It will be a long time before either are finished.  I have another big marble piece that may be finished, I can't decide, a modernistic limestone piece that I might finish in a week or two, and a slate piece that will take a week but when.....?  I'll get pictures of the others in a week or so.  Put on some blues or rock or classic music, beat rock till sparks come out of it.

7 comments:

  1. Yep, creative juices flowing, sparks flying. Kind of makes me jealous that I can'[t make sparks. I suppose I could make paint spatters though. Nice bull. I like it all ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you get the marble? Have it shipped?

    And, as I have often noted - I had no idea...


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marble I bought a big piece from a cemetary monument supplier. It was about 9" thick weighed about 360 lbs, I slid it on 2x4s I rubbed with hand soap, glides like roller skates, then I drilled holes through it, cut lines in it and drove a wedge in it and cleaved it into smaller pieces as I wanted.

      Delete
  3. Fringe,
    Give me the tools and I guarantee to create a mess. Otherwise I'll stick to creating word pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mister O, I started out with a carpenter hammer and cold/steel chisels I had in my tool box, they don'w work very well, get dull instantly, but I made the fist piece that way to see if I could do it, and it came out real nice, then I purchased a few proper stone chisels, they don't cost much, later when I worked a piece of granite I had to buy carbide tipped tools, they cost a bit more. From the small standard to the bigest carbides they cost from $10 to 40 each, and you could get by with 4 or 5 really, in 10 years I may have bought about a dozen total. It's a pretty cheap hobby.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.