Thursday, April 10, 2014
Phallic symbol on a mountain, and 7 things.
2) California agriculture scientist set up a network of hoses in a wheat field weeping CO2 day and night to create a growing season with levels of CO2 as projected within 20 years. The results: harvested protein levels are 3% lower. With reduced protein in grains this will impact beer makers, bakers, the meat industry, and the nutrition content available to anyone that needs to eat. So much for idiots claiming higher CO2 is good for us because plants need it.
3) Obama: A few weeks ago he bucked the Kochs and oil refiners and put in a rule on sulfur content in gas. The auto industry was with him on this, they really wanted this one, unusual as they often side with oil. The extreme reduction in sulfur content makes new energy efficient engines possible. Tiny ports, pulse valves, none of this is possible with todays blend. This means far less pollution from the fuel and increase in mpg with the next generation engines.
4) Obama: He also put in new mpg goal for large trucks. Oh but new energy efficient engines will cost $5,000 more is the cry. Duh, and spending 20% fewer hours at fuel stops, and thousands a year less on fuel will make you more money and deliver freight sooner.
5) Obama: Also a new construction equipment fuel efficiency/exhaust standard. Oh but......you know the cry. Problem with this is construction and offroad equipment stays in service for decades. This is fantastic news, but the dirty ones out there and still being sold the next 5 years will continue to pollute for a long long time. But, clean air is coming, and it will save construction companies money over time.
6) Military Veterans are a little less than 5% of the workforce, but 7% of the workers in renewable energy fields, and almost 10% of solar workers. More and more soldiers/sailors exit the military with the skills needed in wind and solar. We will throw away a ready made workforce if we let the GOP stop our transition to clean energy for the fossil fuel industry that owns them. Push back on those who erect barriers to more wind and solar in your state and city.
7) "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi