Monday, February 11, 2013

Green Pope and the "seven new sins".

The Green Pope is cashing in his bejeweled red shoes for a nursing home.  So be it.  The guy was not my favorite, and I am not happy about some of his past.  But, the ole German is bowing out and I want to focus on and remember him for something very important he did.  Something we need to all remember, and bring up in conversations, especially to catholics.

Benedict XVI believed in Global Warming and denounced the destruction of the environment.  He ask the church to "focus on the needs of sustainable development".  He also announced seven new sins that require repentance.  Number four on the list was "polluting the environment".  Also on the list "causing social injustice" and "becoming obscenely wealthy".  These two often will overlap the 4th one in the same way as Will Rogers said "no man ever made a million $ honestly".   The Green Pope also set the Vatican as the only nation, (OK it's smaller than my neighborhood, but still) to be carbon neutral, through lighting and building modifications, solar panels and carbon credits.  To be clear, he wasn't the typical tree hugger though his instructions (if followed) touch more than the Sierra Club ever will.  He saw the environmental movement as in line with basic  church beliefs, and he recognized that the church had to move in that direction, for the good of the earth and the church.

John Paul II set the path, credit to him, when he declared in 1990 the "environment a moral issue" and "a grave responsibility to preserve for future generations".

I had forgotten some of this, but with todays reminder I will be bringing up the subject of the Green Pope to my Catholic friends and associates, I may even invite them to confession.
(me? no, not catholic.)

2 comments:

  1. Say ten hail mary's and sin no more!
    I had a grave distrust of the man due to his NAZI Youth connections - Well, can you imagine NOT joining the NAZI Youth in say, 1939? Yet, I seen no evidence that the Pope was a snti-semite.
    I was unaware of Pope Benedict's focus on the environment and I applaud him for that?

    Okay, here it is - We have not seen a Pope resign since 1415. Naturally, there will have to be a conclave of Cardinals held in Rome to elect a new pontiff. Whom this next time?
    What happens to Pope Benedict once he is no longer Pope? And, does he still rate burial in the Vatican upon his death?

    Sarge

    (me? no,not catholic.)

    Me too. Presbyterian - catholics who don't have a Pope - I do still eat fish on Sunday - that is no shit! Don't fuck no choir nor altar boys but I have always had a fondness for those hot little whorelettes from Memorial (the catholic high school near ours and sports rival) in their plaid skirts and white blouses and ties.
    Google: Janus
    The Brits are heavy into that girl school uniform thing...
    I prefer Hooter girls...

    Friar Sarge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Friar, your sins are minor compared to thousands of preachers and zealots and priests that work among us. I know many are good. I also know many are not worth the energy it would take to push them off the church steps.

      Delete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.