Tuesday, July 17, 2012

the letter

My sister just got the news, my brother-in-law just the last 45 days is suddenly very forgetful, and sometimes confused by ordinary events, a couple of scans of the head and neck,,,,,,,,,,Alzheimers.  The last couple of times I talked to him on the phone I told the wife later he seemed like he was asking questions but not paying any attention to the answers.
I got the news late yesterday by email, and I need to write back, I know what I will say, but it seems like I don't want to do it, I'm killing time, doing other things, like this.

Aeronautical design engineer, was at the top of the design teams of some of the worlds best known planes, probably the smartest guy in the family.  Bam.

5 comments:

  1. Darrel,
    Mom is 87 and has some dementia. Look, there are drugs out there that help. The USA Today had articles in it the last few days on alzheimers - seek them out.

    But, let me share something that I learned while working for those elder-care lawyers with the wills and trusts - the people I seen that were above 80 that had their shit together were all fans of thing like crossword puzzels and reading newspapers.
    I bring Dad USA Today ever morning and give him my copy of Time every week. They watch CNN, and the local news and know their stuff. Now, both of them are getting shaky behind the wheel - Mom may lose her keys first. Dad is even considering going back to church with her so that he can drive.
    The reason he isn't protesting my driving him over to the VA Hospital at Marion, Il is that he got lost the last time. And, do these two clucks have a cell phone or can even recite my or Sis's phone number? Nope...


    Bests,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron,
      He started the drugs a few days ago. Those drugs slow for a few months the progress, then it resumes.
      He did the LA crossword every day for 40 years in ink, tried to do it under 15 minutes. He read academic and scientific journals almost daily.
      D

      Delete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.