Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ok guys, keep this to your self, now sneak in there real careful like.

Now the weather is comfortable, even hot some days, time to sneak in to the water heater and turn it down,  just a little bit.  Don't tell the wife, most females like water that would scald feathers off a chicken, or set the hair on a hog if you know about that old exercise.  A few years ago I told my wife proudly I was saving a few dollars this summer lowering the water temp.  No way that worked, she couldn't get it warm enough once she knew, I had to turn it up to stop the harping, I think I had to set it higher than it had been before.  Now for the last 10 years I do it and keep my mouth shut, she never noticed.  For sure we saved a few dollars running the hot water tank lower and the radiant residue heat was less in the house too.  This fall put it back.
I bet I will save enough to buy a good bottle of wine, anyhow one day I will, all the time imagining I'm getting it at the expense of the gas company.

8 comments:

  1. We have an electric hot water tank. Both of us like it hot, neither of us like paying the bill. Solution? Timer. Turns it on for 2 hours in the morning and again at night. Gives me ample hot water for showers, cleaning, etc. And the good news is I'm not paying for the electricity to keep the water up to temp while we're not using it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry,
    This is an excellent solution for electric systems. I have gas and that wouldn't work, but I envy you for this idea, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fringe:

    Hey whatever works, as long as she doesn't find out, then you'll be fine. I don't pay for water in my apartment hot or otherwise. we have a boiler room that serves the whole complex.. hot water morning, noon and night. I likes it hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fringe:

    I used that method to get one of our sons from taking 30-minute showers. After about 10 minutes, I would go to the hot water tank in the garage and turn off the hot water. One could hear a yelp from the shower and our son was out of there. I told him he had used all the hot water in the tank. He started taking showers under ten minutes in length after that. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every house in America SHOULD be using solar to heat water. Would that not work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope! I actually had maintenance goose UP the temp on the water heater. Yes, I resemble a freshly boiled lobster when I step out. But, revived - ah, yessss...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew there was such an 'interest' in the hot water tank.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Ice, even though I started it, it's nuts, we're all nuts. Lets move on.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.