Monday, April 15, 2013

imagine 6,610 100 watt bulbs for one hour

That was my electric bill this month.  Equal to an hour of 6,610 tungsten filament incandescent bulbs, you know the old technology, the ones that turn about 80% of the energy into heat and 20 into light.

I used 661 kWh, or kilowatt hours.  One kilowatt is a thousand watts, a kilowatt hour is a thousand watts for one hour, which is easy to grasp if you envision ten 100 watt incandescent bulbs on for an hour, thats one kWh.  So my 661 equals 6,610 100 watt bulbs blazing away.

This was a bit of a surprise to me, last year the same period was a little over 400 kWh.  We are scratching our heads why it jumped.  Maybe the neighbor ran a line to my outside plugs?  Well 661 isn't bad, the national average for home and apartment is 888 kWh.  I have CF bulbs in most places, and one LED which I like and will be getting more,  also we had to replace dishwasher, fridge, and some little things and we grabbed the lowest energy use model in every case.  But 66 hundred, maybe I left the vibrator running.

2 comments:

  1. Darrel,
    1. Okay, so how much have you actually saved with the new bulbs?
    2.Viberator? Is that lawful in Kan-ass? I mean. would Friar Brownback approve?


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hell Ron, what'd ya wann go and ask something like that for? God damn. I'll come up with some numbers as best I can. Give me a day or so.

      Delete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.