Wednesday, May 1, 2013

350 hours of tin ear work

Just returned from a visit with the son and his wife in Memphis.  I returned with the job to store the daughter-in-laws  350+ CD's.    Most are classical, a few jazz.  They are moving east and expect the new big city abode will be the size of a sardine can, so they are downsizing, and transferred hundreds of CD's to MP4.  The catch, or the joke assignment given, I have to catalog, listen to, and comment on every single CD.
I love classical music, so this is going to be fun.  I have about 16 months to do it, and I doubt I will do all of them in that time.

Dmitri Shostakovich, at age 11 the Russian revolutions began, he spent his whole life as a composer trying to find ways to compose what he wanted under the choke of the USSR's secret police and art sensor which sent many an intellectual to the gulags.  I have a great story about Dmitri and a mistress, I will relay it one day when I encounter his work, for those with an erotic appetite.  The picture during his mid 20's looks like me at mid 20's, later ones not.

I love to set at the end of the day in the dark or soft light and listen to a few minutes of music before bed.  Very relaxing.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Darell. I like it when people find enjoyment out of simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Tom, this will make dinner, dishwashing, and the end of the day very enjoyable for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darrel,
    I learn more about you all of the time.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.