Friday, March 2, 2012

Someone's praying, my Lord, come by here (kumbahya)

Why has the Republicans turned on a religious song from the past?  Rush or Cantor or Fox love to throw it out as an insults festooned in nasty sarcasm, kumbahyah this or that.  Gingrich and others denounce democrats ideas or speeches as so much kumbahyah wish-e-wash-e, a joke, something to laugh at, absurd.

The song was first written down in the mid 1920's, from a group of blacks on the coast of South Carolina who spoke a pigeon english.  "Kum-bah-yah" meant come by here.  It was a negro spiritual, native to those parts.  So if you see the text of the song, what about it should a religious white politician feel so superior to that he would use it as ridicule?  Asking god to visit in spirit, to be with the people, to look after us, to bless us, mighty subversive I guess according to Fox and friends.  So, to make the translation it becomes:

Come by here Lord, come by here.
hear me crying Lord, come by here.
Someones laughing Lord, come by here.
Hear me praying Lord, come by here.
Someone's singing my Lord, come by here.
Oh, I need you my Lord, come by here.

I would add a verse for the American Taliban,
This nation is persecuting women Lord, Kum-bah-yah
Someone's wants to silent the voices Lord, Kum-bah-yah

1 comment:

  1. If you believe in God then you know that taking from the poor and rewarding the rich is not what Jesus taught.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments might end up in the trash.